- why oh why do people embed auto-playing music and video in their webpages? There is nothing that makes me leave a web page faster #
- A clown just rode by on a bicycle, I swear #
- Interesting slide show, narrated by the British Elmer Fudd: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8163008.stm #
- Excellent article about the American cell phone industry's BS: http://bit.ly/XZeQl #
- I KNEW it! http://bit.ly/PsoyV #
- Some hideous, LA style (circa 1999) place named “Trigger” opened in The Castro http://twitpic.com/b9w88 #
- I didn’t think it possible for at&t’s network to be any more shitty than in NYC but SF has proved me wrong #
- Olaf m’a pose un lapin #
- Ahh, San Francisco http://twitpic.com/b95du #
- Funny thing they did at Castro and market streets http://twitpic.com/b93z3 #
- Is it plagiarizing if, pretending to be someone else, you say something they actually said? #
- If talking on cell while driving (even hands free) is dangerous (studies show that it is), why isn’t talking with a passenger as dangerous? #
- Let my pal Marites talk me into joining her for my first ever spin class this morning. And I actually survived. #
That about sums up San Francisco today. Amazing sunny weather but quite cold out. Summer in SF. Now that I have been living in NYC for several months, my trip back to the Bay Area has me again noticing some of the aesthetic and cultural differences between places. These things shift and reorder themselves in subtle ways over many many visits. In a very general way today, I have a feeling that New York is much its own thing, with a Euro dialogue happening in a lot of places, especially with London and Paris, but that San Francisco is having a dialogue with its past, stronger place in the American psyche as well as the Northwestern and Californian sensibility that it has always had (showing itself in its environmental, political and culinary preoccupations). San Francisco is an amazing place for food for a city of its size (or any size, really). New York has a harder edge and is filled with, well, the best (and sometimes worst) of everything at all times. San Francisco is fewer things, and they have a greater presence because of their relative importance. San Francisco is easy in places that New York is hard and vice versa. I love and miss many things about San Francisco, and could easily see myself living here again, but it does lack some of the vitality that I feel in New York.
So much for random, not very interesting ramblings as I sit in a coffee shop (my second today) and wait to meet my friend Troy for dinner later.
The world is ending. I am with my cousin Josh and another friend, and we are trying to find a good place to go and music to listen to as the world explodes. Chaos is everywhere and we are a little scared, but resolute and accepting nonetheless. We are looking for a place to be when it ends and steeling ourselves for what it will feel like for the planet and everything around us to crumble under our feet and for us to suddenly be in the vacuum of space. We wonder what it will feel like in the miliseconds before we cease to exist. Running everywhere, from place to place to prepare, but the event isn’t coming though we know it will very very soon. People are screaming and crying all around and millling about. It seems important for us to find good music we enjoyed to be listening to while we die. Various songs keep playing and then changing, and the music is coming from everywhere around us and is good. I really have to go take a piss and wonder if I will expire at the urinal. I am looking and looking for the bathroom but the first one is so crowded and disgusting I go looking for the one in another wing, but alas it is locked. After talking to a woman in charge who is dressed like a nurse, she finally finds the keys and opens it. I go inside to piss and wake up to realize I really do have to piss and so go to the bathroom.
- I am feeling a bit out of it and need a nap. Getting up at 4am to catch a flight can be tough. #
- Landed after a long, uncomfortable ride. Another reason I never choose United except as a last resort #
- If this is "plus" I would hate to see "normal" http://twitpic.com/azpys #
- United Airlines sucks! They just tried to charge me for a SINGLE bag if I wanted to check it! total bullshit. #
I am back in San Francisco for a week, to visit friends and attend a wedding ceremony this coming weekend. I am justifying the trip a little more with a small contract I have picked up for tomorrow and a potential website client I am meeting with on Wednesday. The weather is magnificent and I am happy to escape the heavy humidity of the East for a bit. After a week in SF, I will head to LA for a week to visit friends and have another potential work meeting.
Ah the life of the itinerant web worker….
- "H" as in "Wholesale"? Really? (From having a confirmation code read back to me by an airline representative) #