It has been pretty cold here, I guess we are not yet fully into Spring. So I went out today and bought a jacket and a couple of long sleeved thingies. Now that I have spent the money, I’m sure the heatwave won’t be far behind. Spent a good part of the day yesterday walking around, and BA feels a LOT like Paris in its architecture if not street layout. Here are a few things I have learned in my short time here:
– Argentines seem to use a LOT of slang. Every attempt to find these words in my current dictionary comes up blank or with the wrong meaning.
– Did you know that Tango is not only a style of dance, but that there is an entire culture of tango singing as well? And that some guy named Carlos Gardel was a really famous Tango singer?
– Everyone seems to dislike the current government and it always has to do with money.
– There is apparently a difference between mate and tea, and I had my new friend Guillermo explain it to me at length, and I still don’t get it. I get the feeling there is a cultural difference, but not a material one.
– The street signs are all sponsored. I guess that is one way to pay for them.
– Inflation is pretty high here, and prices change rapidly.
– BA is all about the night. Dinner is usually around 10 or 11pm. Lunch is usually around 12:30, and to bridge the long hours in between there is merienda (tea time with snacks).
Click on the pic below to go to the album of pics I have so far…