Short dessert sauce manifesto…Chico manifesto sobre la salsa dulce

Mar
2008

This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time, and it came up again tonight at dessert, at what was an otherwise excellent meal.  I consider myself somewhat of a foodie, and I can’t hold my tongue anymore.  The worst kind of atrocity is being perpetrated on poor chocolate lovers everywhere. It is a disgusting fad that seems have taken hold in the 90’s and continues to haunt chocolate desserts worldwide in unending horror since then. Let me be blunt: Raspberries and raspberry sauces HAVE NO BUSINESS anywhere near chocolate, whether it be cake, pie, torte or what-have-you.  They make for a truly disgusting combination, and the poor unwashed dinner masses have been duped into believing this combo is some sort of gastronomic shorthand for luxury.  Attention chef-hacks the world over: Stop the madness! Let chocolate be chocolate.

And be on notice, flavored coffee purveyors. You are next on my shit list.Hay algo que me molesta desde hace mucho tiempo, y vi un ejemplo otra vez esta noche con el postre. Me veo como algien que conoce comida, y no puedo calmarme más. Lo peor tipo de atrocidad esta perpetrado en la gente que le gusta el chocolate. Es un capricho horrible de los años 90s que continúa hasta la fecha. Déjeme ser fuerte: frambuesas y salsa de frambuesas NO DEBEN ESTAR de nigun manera cerca de chocolate. No importa si es pastel, torta, helado, o otra cosa. Juntos hacen una combinación de pesadilla. La pobre gente ha sido engañada a y llevada a creer que esta combinación es de lujo, pero es de basura.

Comments

1. O. M. Freakin’ G!

I thought I was the only one on the whole damn planet who thought this. I have never for the life of me understood the madness of this combo!

I like raspberries. I adore chocolate. To mix the two is an unspeakable abomination!

Now I’m wondering if there are others that feel the same way and just don’t come out and say it, because theoretically it would seem like a good idea. But it absolutely makes me retch.

2. Mom says:

Okay–for the first time (in matters gastronomic), I disagree with you. (And with Aman.) I absolutely LOVE raspberries with chocolate.

I know, I know…I live in Indiana, and can’t be expected to truly understand food….

3. Krista says:

I hate to admit (because I like hating random things) that chocolate and raspberries don’t bother me, but the problem is that raspberry sauce frequently comes with my pet peeve dessert: chocolate molten cake. Now, that’s a ’90s abomination. However, I seem to be the only one who has a problem with the poor gooey warm-centered treat.

4. Mark says:

The only thing worse than raspberry seeds stuck between your teeth is raspberry seeds covered in chocolate stuck between your teeth.

5. gabe says:

Totally agree with you 100%.

6. I at least want some choice around it. So many times there’s some fabulous chocolate dessert that I would absolutely love if I could just have it with out the raspberry sauce.

I am a bit of a chocolate purist thought. I am really only into dark chocolate, not milk or white. And aside from chocolate I have no sweet tooth and don’t like anything sugary. I’m also not into baked goods that contain apple or lemon.

7. PattyK says:

I agree. The tart sourness of the raspberries around chocolate don’t jive. Funny enough, last night I was at a dinner party and one of the guests brought dark chocolate (72%). She melted it in a double boiler and had us dip her new favorite thing in – fresh basil leaves. It was disgusting.

Goes to show you – people think anything is good as long as it has chocolate on it.
    Namaste

8. Maureen says:

Stephen, I could not agree with you more. I’m sorry, back in the 80s (I think that’s when it really made the scene), someone had obviously been doing too much cocaine and was way too tired after a night at Elaine’s when they came up with THAT idea. Just like shoulder pads, M.C. Hammer pants and “Greed is good” mentalities, that is one thing from the 80s that needs to be retired. Stat!

9. Cousin Ben says:

COMPLETELY DISAGREE. Raspberries and chocolate RULE.

Also: hi! Still hoping to come to Mexico sometime in May, maybe…

10. Kelly says:

I absolutely agree!

11. fauzi says:

I think they are a nice touch! The combo of tart and bitter sweet chocolate taste and the color I think is amazing! I pretty much eat anything anyhow! People think Im crazy loving Bounty or Almond Joy!

12. A friend of mine recently took me to a pie place, and I had a strawberry pie, and I must say: I’ve just never been a “hot fruity dessert” kinda guy.

I like fruit. I like fruity desserts. I like hot desserts. I like hot guys. I like fruity guys.

Yah… not so much a hot fruity dessert guy… I’m still willing to try though. :)